Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Cross-Country Chronicles: I Got People in Portland

Guess who's back in the USA?!

That's right. I've traded in maple syrup, Tim Hortons and the eternal winter for west coast beaches and Barack Obama. And I couldn't be happier. Bye bye Canada. Hello California.

After 18 brief but enjoyable hours in Vancouver with Zosia Cassie - my bunk director from Appel Farm 2010 - I made my way into the Americas via Seattle, Washington. I had a two hour layover in Seattle before I was due to catch a train to Portland, which was just enough time to decide that I could live in Seattle and live a very happy life. Despite its reputation, I was dubious about the coffee (I have become dubious about all American coffee) but I was pleasantly surprised that it lived up to its name. I spent two hours sitting in a cafe called Zeitgeist - free WiFi, coffee, happy days - sending emails and preparing myself for the prospect that in four hours I would be in Portland with my Appel Farm BFF, Molly Soloway.

Seeing Molly really hit home that I was back in the USA and that after all the waiting, camp was a mere couple of weeks away. Her parents welcomed me into their Portland home like I was one of their own children and were even encouraging about my having another hole pierced through my ear - just be glad it's not a tattoo, Mum. Molly showed me the Portland delights - the Saturday Markets, a trip to Trader Joe's for roadtrip supplys and a night of dancing at the Crystal Ballroom for their 80's music video party. Whitney Houston, dance your heart out.

My stay in the City of Roses was short and sweet and before we knew it, Molly and I were embarking on our Cross Country Roadtrip - Portland to New Jersey via the most wayward destinations available (more on that to come).

Our first day was spent getting lost before we even got out of Portland, followed by a seven hour drive to Eureka, California where for the second time since being in the USA, I got behind the wheel. Molly swears I'm doing really well, although I swear there's been a few times where she's clutched the door handle in fear because I've drifted too far to the right side of the right lane. Give me a break - it's a struggle using the left side of my brain.

On our drive to Eureka, we were given a small taste of the Redwood National Forest but nothing compared to our drive from Eureka to San Fransisco where we drove straight down the middile of the Avenue of the Giants. The Redwood National Forest protects 45 per cent of Coastal Redwoods - the tallest and most magnificent trees in the world. You could not wrap your arms around these suckers if you had your whole extended family plus the Brady Bunch - they're huge.

After Molly and I got tired of taking photos of the trees and driving our car through the middle of one (we didn't crash, we actually drove through a hole in a tree and paid $6 to do it), we headed onwards to San Francisco - home of the Golden Gate Bridge, Full House and a hell of a lot of hills. We are fortunate enough to be staying with the mum of one of Molly's school friends who has been an obliging and humble host since we got here all of five hours ago . She took us on a guided tour of downtown San Fran and then treated us to a lovely dinner and an even tastier bottle of red.

We're taking a break from driving tomorrow and spending the day in San Fran, where we will no doubt take more photos of the Golden Gate Bridge and tone up our ta-tas walking up and down this hilly heaven.

Ciao for now. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Well, say it!