Monday, June 28, 2010

Appel Farm Officially Starts!

First session at Appel Farm Creative Arts Camp started today and it has been the looooongest day of my life.

Even though I've counseled at a few camps in the past, I can not remember being more tired after a day of camp. Welcoming people and settling them in and helping them unpack and helping them make friends and making sure no one is sitting alone and trying to make conversation and trying to be the best freaking counselor ever is surprisingly draining. I think it's the attempting to be the most fun, enthusiastic, friendliest version of yourself that really drains the energy.

I've met all the girls in my bunk and it's a pretty eclectic mix. Half of them are theatre majors so they are all loud and dominating (now that rings a few bells, doesn't it...) and the other half are visual arts or music majors so are pretty intreverted and keep to themselves. I was a bit worried at first that no one was going to get along because they all had such different personalities, but they seemed to have clicked okay. We've had our first bunk meeting and written our 'Cabin Constitution' - the rules they want to live by in the bunk - and everybody appears to be on the same page. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Tomorrow is the first day of majors and minors and my first time teaching. I've met some of my creative writing campers and heard great things about their abilities, so I'm looking forward to seeing what skills they have. I'm really excited about offering a Fashion Journalism minor, which will be run in conjunction with the Fashion Design minor. Inspiring budding writers to want to work for Vogue is what I do best.

Bed time is 11:00 PM and it's only 9:30 PM so I've got one and a half hours of day left - best get back to the ankle-biters.

Ciao for now. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Well, say it!