Tuesday, October 5, 2010

You, Me and E-Town

Elizabethtown may not have a Disney World, an Empire State Building, a major museum of any significance, a major bridge of any significance or really anything of any significance, BUT it did have Kate Leibrand and to me, she is considerably significant. After a one and a half hour train trip from Philadelphia to Elizabethtown, me and my bestie from Appel Farm were finally reunited.

There may not be any major over-priced tourist attractions to visit in Elizabethtown, but the town does play host to Elizabethtown College which is an attraction in itself, especially for a tourist. I've stayed in a few college towns so far on my journey (Durham, Florida and Nashville) and while I experienced a brief game of beer pong with some Vanderbilt boys in Nashville, Elizabethtown was my first introduction to the college life in America.

And I'm happy to say, college is one more stereotype flaunted by the movies and television shows which isn't so far from the actual truth - houses host keg parties, beer is served in large plastic red cups, the boys are jocks, the girls go to Homecoming and no one really cares about their actual education. And everyone on campus eats breakfast, lunch and dinner at the same gigantic cafeteria which has a smiliarly gigantic buffet of every possible food item you could ever want to eat.

I won't fill you in on the antics of my three days in Elizabethtown, except that I took part in a fair few of those large red cups and felt their effects. Thankfully, I was able to hold my own when it came to flip cup and beer pong.

Can definitely say I'll be leaving America with one or two new skills under my expanding belt.

Ciao for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Well, say it!